Black Bean Soup Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 4 cans of black beans
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 box of broth
- 1 can of corn (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 4 cloves fresh garlic)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup of water
- Wash and chop all the vegetables.
- Rinse and drain two cans of the black beans. Open the other two cans, but do not drain or rinse.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and carrots for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the carrots start to soften.
- Add the bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and/or any other vegetables you like, and cook for three more minutes.
- Add the seasonings: garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and mix with the vegetables.
- Add all the black beans: two cans drained & rinsed and two cans straight from the can.
- Add the broth and water. (Add less water if you want a thicker soup.)
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- If you like, you can blend some of the soup to give it a thicker consistency. Remove half of the soup, blend it, and return it to the pot. If you don’t have a blender, you can use a potato masher, eggbeater, or a mixer—whatever you have.
SPECIAL CARROT TIPS
- You are the expert when it comes to your own cooking. Add or subtract ingredients to suit your taste.
- If you like a little kick, add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes with the other spices.
- You could try adding a stalk of celery or substitute salsa for the diced tomato.
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa/pico de gallo
- Plain yogurt/sour cream
- Chopped cilantro/chives
This soup is delicious on its own or served with bread, cornbread, or biscuits. Prefer something cheesy? Make a grilled cheese sandwich or quesadilla too. You can also serve alongside rice or salad—the choice is yours!
Keep soup in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to two months.