Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
A hearty, classic favorite that the whole family will love.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 package of broth
1 can of chicken OR 2 potatoes
1 ½ cups pasta
1 bouillon cube
2 stalks of celery
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 box Saltines
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Chop your vegetables! Slice the carrots into discs and then cut them in half (about ¼ to ½ inch-thick pieces). Finely chop the onion and chop the celery into ¼ – ½ inch-thick pieces.
- Open the can of chicken and drain and rinse it. If using potatoes, dice into small pieces (larger pieces will not fully cook).
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot large enough to hold 4 cups of broth. Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add diced celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add bouillon cube, mixing into onion and celery mixture until thoroughly coated (you can also add a splash of hot water to help this mix together better).
- Add broth and season with oregano and pepper. Taste and add additional seasonings if needed. Bring broth to a boil.
- Add carrots (and potatoes if making the vegetarian version) and cook until they start to soften.
- Add noodles and cook just until the noodles are al dente (or a little less cooked than you would like). Be careful not to overcook them! Remove the pot from the heat as soon as they are just barely tender – the noodles will continue to cook once you remove the pot from the heat, and you don’t want them to be mushy.
- Add canned chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasoning if needed. Enjoy with crackers!
- If you have leftover soup, add some extra water when you reheat it. The veggies will have absorbed much of the broth overnight, and adding more water will replenish the liquid without taking away from the flavor!
- Add any dried or fresh herbs you like for extra flavor, like dill, parsley, thyme, rosemary, or sage!
- Add a can or two of mixed vegetables – or fresh veggies like corn, potatoes, and other root vegetables (make sure to cook them before adding them to the broth).
- Try making this with shredded rotisserie chicken for extra flavor!
- Serve with a sandwich for a hearty lunch or easy dinner.