Add this paprika spiced meat and vegetable stew to your weekly meal rotations for something yummy and different!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 lb. ground turkey (OR 3 carrots & 1 potato)
1 medium onion
1 green pepper
1 can kidney or pinto beans (or any beans you have!)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
¼ box of pasta – about 1 cup
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ tsp. salt
Black pepper to taste
Ham, bacon, or sausage
Mushrooms or other veggies
Paprika, cumin, red pepper
Parsley, rosemary, cilantro
- Drain and rinse the beans. Dice the green pepper and chop the onion. (If making the vegetarian version, dice the potato and carrots.)
- In a large pot, cook the ground turkey and onions until the meat is browned and onions are tender.
- If making the vegetarian option, sauté the potatoes, onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons of oil until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the excess oil from meat.
- Add the spices, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, and pasta.
- Stir all ingredients well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot, stirring frequently for 20-30 minutes to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. If it seems too dry, add water as needed for the pasta to cook.
- Remove from heat when the pasta is tender.
SPECIAL CARROT TIPS
• Adjust the seasonings to your taste – this dish can be spicier with more chili powder or milder with just a pinch
• Add canned or fresh ingredients like corn, zucchini, or broccoli to update this recipe with the seasons!
Pair this meal with a crusty loaf of bread, dinner rolls, green salad, or sautéed greens like kale, collard greens or swiss chard. If desired, top with grated cheddar cheese.