Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
2 cups dry instant potatoes (and any additional ingredients the package calls for)
1 medium onion
1 stalk of celery
1 can of peas
2 cans chicken (10 oz. each) OR 1 can of chickpeas
1 ½ cups of cream soup
4″ stalk of fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon garlic powder OR 2 cloves fresh garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and chop all the vegetables. The smaller you cut the carrots, the faster they will cook.
- Pull the leaves from the stem of the rosemary and chop the leaves into small pieces.
- Open, drain and rinse the canned peas and canned chicken (or chickpeas).
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions until translucent—about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, canned peas, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat to medium and cook until carrots are tender—stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken (or chickpeas) and cream soup. Mix everything together.
- Put the entire mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish or 9” x 9” cake pan.
- Prepare the instant mashed potatoes according to the package directions. You may add garlic or other spices if you like.
- Spoon the cooked mashed potatoes on top of the filling that is already in your baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbling.
SPECIAL CARROT TIPS
• Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking.
• In a hurry? Skip the baking. Just spoon the filling into a bowl and top with a spoonful of mashed potatoes.
• Add or substitute any vegetables you like—broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, corn, green beans… Anything goes!
• Make your own mashed potatoes with regular potatoes or even sweet potatoes.
• Vegetarian option could be tofu, mushrooms, or lentils instead of chickpeas.
• Turn this into a potpie by topping with a crust instead of mashed potatoes.