Our take on an easy and delicious dinner staple that everyone in the family loves!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 bell pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or veggie crumbles
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Buns or rolls
- Dice the onion and pepper and set aside.
- Open the can of tomatoes, drain the liquid and set aside. If using veggie crumbles, do not drain the tomatoes.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add peppers and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and ground beef (or whatever meat you are using).
- Cook the mixture, stirring regularly and breaking the meat into small pieces.
- If there is a lot of liquid, use a large spoon to remove some.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and 1 cup of BBQ sauce.
- Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the beef is fully cooked and the mixture is heated all the way through. Stir occasionally.
- If the mixture is too dry, add more BBQ sauce or water.
- Allow to cool slightly and then spoon onto rolls.
SPECIAL CARROT TIPS
• Spice up your sloppy joes with hot sauce or spicy BBQ sauce
• Serve with rice, pasta or on a bed of lettuce instead of a bun
• Use leftovers to create dishes like:
• Sloppy Joe mac & cheese
• Sloppy Nachos with tortilla chips, cheese and sloppy joe meat
• Sloppy Dogs – hotdogs topped with sloppy joe meat
Serve this meal on a toasted bun for a warmed up variation! Top it with lettuce, spinach or a pickle to complete the sandwich. A great meal served with french fries, mashed potatoes, or coleslaw.