The climate of racial animus, including alarming acts of violence and hate toward individuals and communities of color, impels us to be an organization that is inclusive and safe for everyone*.
We make this public statement of solidarity as a starting point, but we are keenly aware that this is about more than just words. We are called upon to listen and to act.
Some of our first steps have included
- Staff and Board participation in Interrupting Racism trainings through Human In Common
- Staff participation in Uprooting Racism in the Food System program through Soul Fire Farm
- Food justice collaborations with our community partners at Abundance Farm
- Participation in a campus-wide/neighborhood working group around alternatives to policing
- Creating a Client Advisory Committee to welcome a diversity of participation in strengthening our programs
- Deeply examining our mission, practices, actions, and messaging through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion
We are still learning, growing, and listening.
The process is not complete; this work will never be done.
We are on a path.
*Our intention to be inclusive and safe for everyone affirmatively includes all those from marginalized or systematically disadvantaged communities, including Latinx and LGBTQ+ people, while calling special attention to the need for this particular Statement of Solidarity.